Saturday, February 15, 2014

Will You Remember Your Life?!

Today I want to talk about something else I learned in therapy. This lesson helped me to get out of depression, but also helps me stay happy, safe, and aware everyday.

The 5 senses. Sight,  Smell, Taste, Touch, Hear.


You're probably thinking, what are you talking about? This is a kindergarden lesson... Well, that's what I thought and I was wrong.


When you go throughout your average day, when do you find yourself zoning out? Going into autopilot mode? Do you ever all of a sudden realize your doing it?

When I was sitting in my therapist's office, he asked me to tell him what I feel, see, smell, hear, and taste. At first I thought that was a stupid question, obviously I was sitting in a moderately lit, air conditioned office, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings:

I could hear the clock ticking and the air conditioner buzzing. I could feel the leather chair, the pillow awkwardly on my back, and the carpet beneath my feet. I could smell the stale tea sitting in the office and the cold re-used air in the building. I could taste the stagnant saliva in my mouth. I could see the therapist's wildly checkered shirt, the detailed paintings on the wall, the weird statue on the desk, the briefcase half thrown on the chair, and the book shelf full of psychology books... and ALL OF A SUDDEN I could appreciate my experience. ALL OF A SUDDEN I had created a full-filled memory.

How many times can you not remember what you have eaten for breakfast? Or not remember that you drove to work?

Not only are we missing out on experiences, but we are not giving our selves credit for what we accomplish everyday. If you wrote down everything you do in one week.... would you be impressed? Then give yourself some credit!! Tell yourself that you did an awesome job!

Imagine all the memories we are missing out on!!!!! Are you going to wish you had these memories if we are sick in bed when we are older?

I took what I learned in that therapist's office to my everyday life. I found that I was the most "autopilot" when I was driving, eating, drinking alcohol, and socializing.



If I can remember I say the 5 senses every morning when I get in my car. Every time I'm outside with my dog, every time I'm in a social situation, and every time I'm eating or drinking.

After months of practice, and trust me, it takes time to re-train your brain (haha, that rhymes)... I could feel myself being ALOT more aware of what I was physically doing. 

I was driving safer! It amazed me how much autopilot takes over when you drive, isn't that scarey?! When you drive it only takes one small mistake and your life could be gone. And MY brain thinks it can just unconsciously take me to work and school!?!? I DON'T THINK SO MA'AM!! Then I started to think, I have had three bad car accidents within the past 6 years and two of them were within two months of each other. Luckily I am fine, however I have some very angry car insurance representatives, haha. Is autopilot to blame for my accidents?

Not only is it dangerous to drive on autopilot, but it's amazing how much we miss while we drive. We see beautiful weather, colorful flowers, wildlife animals, dancing Chicfila cow costumes, amazing marketing strategies, and crazy people dancing in their cars on a daily basis... but we don't SEE it.

I eventually stopped binge eating and drinking. The reason I could binge eat or drink excessively was because my brain was not aware of what I was doing!!! It couldn't stop me, because I was eating or drinking without any conscious thought or effort!! Not only was my nutrition affected, I was overweight, and unhappy  - and I was letting this happen.

I started appreciating the world and the people around me so much more. It's amazing what you can learn about other people just by watching them. I've made alot more friends since I am aware of what is around me.

Did you know that your mind's stereotyping, discrimination, and racism against people or things is autopilot? That you can re-train your brain to not judge so quickly?


It takes practice reminding yourself to say the 5 senses when your doing something, trust me, it took me months to get myself to stop doing "autopilot" and I still do sometimes, but it is so worth it.


~ How do you want to go through life? Do you want to remember it? ~

No comments :

Post a Comment