Saturday, February 1, 2014

Journaling


In the Happiness Advantage video (posted yesterday), we concluded that we can RETRAIN our BRAIN. We can push out the negative from the world and train our brain to look for the more positive things in life.


So, I followed Shawn Anchor's advice and I wrote 3 things I was thankful for each day in a journal. I did this for 21 days with a friend and I just re-started with another!!

The difference in my mind amazed me when I started. All day I would walk around half consciously and half sub-consciously deciding on what things will be in my top 3 journal happiness entries that day.

By the end of the 21 days, when something negative happened I would acknowledge that it was negative, but I would find a positive side to it immediately.

Now, the positive is natural and comes BEFORE the negative thought. WHATTTT.

When I encounter people that I disagree with, instead of getting frustrated because are different from me, I would thank them for challenging me and helping me practice my patience.

When I get stuck in traffic or have to drive for a long distance, I use that time to add to my “alone time” life box, listen to an audio book, or enjoy 2 hours of singing along to Shania Twain… 

This sounds CORNY, but it’s amazing how uplifting and rejuvenating it feels to over power your brain and control your thoughts in the middle of a situation.

Haha, could you imagine if people knew I was thinking THIS MUCH while they were talking?!

WHAT is more SIMPLE than writing 3 things your thankful for each day. They have to be new and different things from the previous journal entries. DO this for 21 days, create a habit, and begin the journey in retraining your brain.  Make a change!

My Journal:





No comments :

Post a Comment