Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pets = Happy Humans

Do pets make you happy?!

There is scientific proof that they do! I know that my pets make me feel loved every time I wake up in the morning no matter how many times I pressed the snooze button. They make me feel needed and loved when I come back home from school no matter how long I've left them inside. They make me feel secure and protected at night after I watch SVU or a scarey movie.

Owning a pet gives a priceless amount of unconditional love that everyone should be able to experience. I don't think I would have made it through this past year without mine!





Pet ownership helps people adopt many healthy behaviors, like walking outside, playing, and eating at normal intervals. Pets give people purpose, help people feel needed, and help improve their self worth. Gets them off the couch!!!



Statistics say that interacting with a pet reduces levels of harmful chemicals in the body, like cortisol, that are involved in anxiety and depression. It also increases the beneficial chemicals like oxytocin, dopamine, and endorphins, which are involved in happiness and relaxation.



Did you know?!
- Watching a fish tank versus a bare wall for 30 minutes lowers blood pressure significantly.
- Observing an aquarium can be an even more powerful relaxant than some meditative techniques.
 - Ever wonder why most restaurants have fish tanks? To relax you and decrease your blood pressure so that you feel more comfortable and spend money!


I found a study that tested the happiness on women in stressful situations. One woman was alone, one was with their spouse, one was with their pet, and one was with both their spouse and their pet. They experienced the lowest stress response and the quickest recovery in the situation where they were only with their pet... Crazy huh!?

So, go adopt a pet if you haven't already! Let them help you!


You know what fascinates me the most about all of this information? Veterinarians have chosen a profession that involves animals 100% of the time and most veterinarians are not happy. Veterinary medicine actually has the highest suicide rates compared to all other careers.


What's not adding up?

Dear veterinarians and veterinary students, if you're NOT happy:
Make a change, be aware of your surroundings, balance your life, see the positive in everything around you, and let your beautiful patients help you!!













 ~ Soak in every ounce of happiness around you - why would you want to miss it?~



No comments :

Post a Comment